Meet Your Members’ Needs by Offering Your Lodge the Training They Need Most!
When you serve alcohol, know the risks:
- Risk lawsuits if you over serve.
- Risk lives if you serve a drunk driver
- Risk your livelihood if you sell to a minor
Decide NOW to lower your risk – GET TIPS!
What is TIPS?
TIPS (Training for Intervention ProcedureS) is a dynamic, skills-based training program designed to prevent intoxication, drunk driving, and underage drinking by enhancing the fundamental “people skills” of those that serve alcohol in your Lodge. Employees and manager who participate are able to:
- Recognize signs of intoxication.
- Spot underage drinkers and prevent sales to minors.
- Effectively intervene to prevent problem situations.
- Handle refusal situations with greater confidence.
How Does My Lodge Benefit?
Lodges who use TIPS benefit immediately by reducing risk and creating a safer, more responsible work environment. TIPS training can:
- Reduce exposure to alcohol liability lawsuits.
- Reduce penalties for alcohol violations.
- Improve customer service and satisfaction.
- Enhance a Lodge’s community image.
How Do I Get My Lodge TIPS Trained?
- Classroom Training - There are many Lodges and associations that choose to have their own certified TIPS Trainer. You can either become a TIPS Trainer by successfully completing a two-day, train-the-trainer workshop or TIPS can put you in touch with a certified TIPS trainer in your area. Contact TIPS directly at 800-438-8477 and ask for your dedicated Account Manager. Moose discounts are available!
- Online Training - eTIPS is a web-based server training program that is a self-paced, innovative approach to alcohol server training and includes the fundamentals and quality that TIPS classroom training is known for. To get started, please visit www.gettips.com. Be sure to enter the appropriate Moose Promotional Code to receive your discount. For multiple registrations, please contact your dedicated Account Manager at 800-438-8477.
TIPS for Moose Lodges
- TIPS for Moose Lodges is a comprehensive training program teaching effective intervention techniques to prevent the misuse of alcohol.
- TIPS combines their effective on premise training program with the Loyal Order of Moose Standard Operating Procedures.
- TIPS is recognized by insurance companies, liquor boards, and law enforcement.
- TIPS is trained in all 50 states and over 40 countries
Protect yourself and your members, lodge, and community.
IT IS REQUIRED!
Moose International now requires that all lodge staff serving alcohol is TIPS certified. We strongly recommend that social quarter’s managers and all officers attend a class so they are familiar with the laws and can support their bartenders’ efforts. Please remember that all servers are required to be recertified every three years.
All lodges are responsible to make sure copies of the servers’ certificates or cards are available for onsite inspection and that copies are sent to the Risk Management Department at Moose International.
They may be sent by Fax, email, or United Postal Service mail.
- Fax: (603) 859-6624
- UPS: 155 S. International Drive Mooseheart, IL 60539-1119
Moose International has mandated that all persons serving alcohol beverages in any Moose Lodge be trained and certified in any approved responsible beverage service program. This applies to all persons serving alcohol beverages; that is, bartenders, waitresses/waiters, or any other category of persons delivering beverages to patrons. This includes volunteer bartenders, and volunteer servers.
The Virginia Moose Lodges have four Certified TIPS Trainers located in various parts of the state so there should be no difficulty for any Lodge to arrange for beverage server training. The Certified Trainers and their contact information is listed at the top of this document. Additionally, most major beverage distributors have a TIPS Trainer on-staff, so "in a pinch", they may be contacted.
The in-class training method is preferred as our trainers cover not only server training, but material that Social Quarters Managers must know to comply with State of Virginia laws, as well as material specific to the Loyal Order of Moose. However, in cases where it is impossible for a server to attend an in-class training session, there is an on-line version of the TIPS program at www.gettips.com. By arrangement with Moose International, Health Communications Inc (HCI) offers a discount to Moose servers, if the promotional code "MOOSEHEART2014" is typed in the promotion code field on the "Review Registration" page. The regular on-line registration is $40.00, but with the 40% discount it is only $24.00.
Here are the instructions for registering for on-line certification.
- Go to www.gettips.com/eTIPS.shtml
- Click on "Take Online Course"
- Complete the registration form and click on "Register". (Select training for "restaurant, bar, hotel, nightclub, or Movie Theater) You will receive a short state regulatory message before coming to the payment form.
- On the payment form, be sure to type MOOSEHEART2014 (effective August 13th, 2014) in the promotional code field.
- Complete the payment information (credit cards only), (be sure to type "MOOSEHEART2014" in the promotion code field), and take the eTIPS course.
Social Quarters Managers are reminded that if a new server is hired, he/she must be trained and certified within 30 days. He/she may work under the supervision of a certified server during that 30 day period.